An educational series meant to make you a scent expert. We explore all things scent-related and guide you along the way.
Take Notes: Scent Blending
Today we’re talking scent layering and how you can create your very own fragrance experience. Whether you’re looking for a stronger scent throw or a custom blend of fragrances to fit your mood – we’ve got you covered. There’s no right or wrong way to layer scents, as it’s customized to your particular preference. We’ve put together a how-to + a list of our current faves that will inspire you to explore the world of home fragrance and have a little fun along the way.
- Pick scents from the same fragrance family, like two woody scents or two florals.
- Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, try combining two or more opposite fragrances.
- After choosing your scents, use different product types (like a candle and a reed diffuser, incense and a room spray, etc.) to create a unique fragrance experience.
- If you want to avoid a “what the h*ll is that smell?” moment, avoid combining scents that are dark or heady on their own — they can be overwhelming when used together.
- Most importantly, have fun! Experiment with different scents and fragrance families based on room or time of day.
Cedar & Sagebrush Candle + Moonrise Incense Cones
Light a soy candle and take scent layering to the next level by lighting an incense cone— each cone typically burning for about 25 minutes. The herbal top notes of Cedar & Sagebrush open up, complementing the soft musk and woody notes of Moonrise Incense.
Sunbloom Candle + Golden Coast Room & Linen Spray
This combination screams summer. Sunbloom is bright and alluring with Golden-rayed lily, herbaceous yarrow, and warm tonka bean— a note similar to vanilla but with more complex, spice-forward characteristics. Combined with a few sprays of Golden Coast, you’ll be transported to the Central California Coast surrounded by wild blooms in no time.
Piñon Reed Diffuser + Patchouli Sweetgrass Incense Sticks
Piñon is one of those warm and inviting fragrances that immediately evokes feelings of comfort. Light a Patchouli Sweetgrass Incense stick alongside a Piñon diffuser and decompress into a meditative scent experience with this herbaceous, creamy blend.
Want to learn even more about fragrance and interior design? Check out Kristen and Tom’s book: At Home with Fragrance, available NOW.